See some evil, hear some evil!

Friday, January 20, 2006

The Postman: An integral part of India!

I remember times, before the advent of email into mainstream Indian life, when letters used to take 6-7 days to reach, often get lost on the way or arrive opened. In general, the stated of India's Department of Posts (then, Post & Telegraph) sucked!

Nonetheless, receiving a letter used to be an event in its own right, an emotional high that shall forever remain unequalled by email. I'm not denying that receiving an email is special. That would totally depend on who it's from and how often you communicate otherwise, but all factors remaining constant, I'd rather receive a letter than an email. All I get by snail mail these days are Credit Card statements and Phone bills, which I receive five days earlier in my email anyways.

Things having changed how they have and with me not having written a letter in a few years, I don't think I have the right to grudge. But it still feels nice to see what a huge role the Postman still plays in the lives of millions. BBC has done a brilliant "In Pictures" feature on the Indian Postman. It also brings out how the government is innovating to leverage this amazing supply chain.

Definitely worth a see!

1 Comments:

  • I was watching this Nokia ad - "Dakiya daak laya" and it seemed like a concept totally lost to us. Agree that excitement of receiving a letter is unparalleled. Its true of most traditional things, they still excite you. But you might want to receive a letter now, but you might not like to depend upon this method now.

    So all traditional and outmoded things give us frills but ability to rely on them has gone down and wish to use them as a regular replacement of the current technology might make most of us to think twice.

    By Blogger Ashwani, at 11:45 PM, February 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home